But I hesitate to pick them. I worry that if I use too many, too soon, I won't have enough for later in the summer. Usually, I wait too long. The strong summer sun wilts the leaves. The stems start to dry up. I quickly start to use basil in every dish I can think of. But inevitably some of the beautiful basil goes to waste.
This caprese pasta salad is a great way to use up some basil. It takes the traditional ingredients of a caprese salad -- tomatoes, basil and mozzarella -- and transforms them into a pasta salad. The basil takes the form of a vinaigrette. It's similar to a pesto, but without the cheese and nuts.
The salad is perfect for a summer lunch or light dinner. I bulked it up a bit by adding a can of white beans. The beans nicely absorb the tangy vinaigrette, especially if you let the salad sit overnight. And it gives the salad some heft without making it heavy.
Cook pasta in salted, boiling water until just cooked (but not al dente).
Drain and transfer to a bowl. Set aside to let it cool.
For the vinaigrette, start with fresh basil.
In a blender, combine the bail, salt, garlic, lemon juice and vinegar. Pulse a few times.
Then blend, while slowly drizzling in olive oil. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
Now back to the pasta. Add beans...
and grape tomatoes.
Toss to combine.
Pour basil vinaigrette on top.
Then toss again until everything is coated with the dressing. Chill overnight to allow the flavors to meld. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Caprese Pasta Salad
Recipe adapted from bake.love.give.
1 lightly packed cup fresh basil leaves
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 pound mini penne or other small pasta
1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
8 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls, drained
1 pint grape tomatoes
1. Cook pasta in salted, boiling water until just cooked.
2. Place basil leaves, salt, garlic, lemon juice and vinegar into a blender or food processor.
3. While blending, slowly drizzle olive oil into mixture and continue to blend until a smooth dressing is formed.
4. In a large bowl, toss together cooled pasta, beans, mozzarella, tomatoes.
5. Add vinaigrette and mix until everything is lightly coated.
6. Chill for a few hours or overnight, to allow flavors to come together. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serves 6 as a light meal.