June 3, 2012

Dark Chocolate Milkshake with Fluffy Coconut Cream






There are days when I want need a chocolate milkshake. These are not the days when I'm going to walk into an ice cream shop thinking about a chocolate shake, then decide that coffee chip sounds better. No, these are the days when nothing is going to come between me and a chocolate shake.

Sadly, the last couple of times the craving's hit, I've been sorely disappointed. The first time was probably my fault. I walked into a McDonald's and ordered a chocolate shake. I don't know what was in that shake, but it sure as heck wasn't chocolate. It tasted like overly sweetened something. But not chocolate. I know I have rose-colored memories of McDonald's. But still, I really do remember their chocolate shakes at least tasting like chocolate. 

The second time really wasn't my fault. I went to a bona fide gelato shop, one that had been written up to glowing reviews. But again, when I tasted the shake, it just didn't taste like chocolate. It was closer than the McDonald's version, I'll give it that. But it didn't satisfy my need for chocolate.

Obviously it was time to take matters into my own hands. I went straight to the source: Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries and Shakes. If the man serious enough to put the shakes right up there in the title with the burgers, then I knew he must be onto something. 

I turned the pages, looking at one chocolate shake recipe after another: banana-chocolate, black and white, chocolate-almond, chocolate-mint. But the one that stopped me in my tracks was the Dark Chocolate Milkshake with Fluffy Coconut Cream.

Dark chocolate. I repeat, dark chocolate. And fluffy coconut cream. Not just whipped cream. Whipped cream and cream of coconut and marshmallow fluff. I think I may have died and gone to heaven just reading the recipe.

But then I made it. And I died and went to heaven all over again.



First, make the chocolate syrup. I had some leftover chocolate syrup in my fridge, so I used that. Sorry, no photos of the process, just the end result. But I've included the recipe, below.



Next, make the fluffy coconut cream. Yes, that's what you get when you whip together heavy cream, cream of coconut and marshmallow fluff. You can even make this ahead and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours until you're ready to use it.




Finally, make the milkshake. Combine the milk and chocolate syrup in the blender and blend for a few seconds, until combined.



Add the ice cream and blend until smooth.



Immediately pour into a glass and top with fluffy coconut cream. Devour.
  




Dark Chocolate Milkshake with "Fluffy" Coconut Cream

Recipe slightly adapted from Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries& Shakes

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp heavy cream
3 Tbsp cream of coconut such as Coco Lopez
2 Tbsp marshmallow fluff
1/3 cup whole milk
3 Tbsp chocolate syrup (see recipe, below)
11 ounces premium chocolate ice cream (make sure to use premium, it really makes a difference)

1.    Combine the heavy cream, cream of coconut and marshmallow fluff in a bowl. Whip until stiff peaks form. (You can refrigerate this for a couple of hours before you use it.)

2.    Combine the milk and chocolate syrup in a blender and blend for 5 seconds.

3.    Add the ice cream and blend until smooth, about 10 seconds.

4.    Pour into a glass and top with fluffy coconut cream. Serve immediately.

Makes one 16-ounce milkshake


Chocolate Syrup


1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
2/3 cup unsweetened good-quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1.    Bring 1 cup water, the sugar, and the corn syrup to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.

2.    Whisk in the cocoa powder and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla.

3.    Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.


Makes 1 1/2 cups



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.