May 23, 2012

White Bean Burgers with Tomato Salad

  



I have been so excited to share this post with you! But not for the usual reason. Yes, the food is good and you should definitely try this recipe.

The reason I'm so excited is that this my first post taking photos with my Mother's Day present -- a new digital SLR camera! My husband is a smart guy. He knows the more excited I am about blogging, the more good food he gets to eat! (I actually feel a little bad for my son. These days he's always asking if I'm taking pictures of him or the food.)

I haven't even read the instruction manual and already my photos are so much better. The light, focus, background blur, it's great. Okay, truth be told I will probably never read the instruction manual. I'll wait for my husband to read it and then pick his brain. 

This blog is about food, though, not photography, so back to the white bean burgers. First, they're super healthy. Beans are a great source of protein and fiber. I've been trying to get in the habit of using them instead of meat every now and then.

This recipe has very simple flavors. Cannelini beans are pretty mild, so the lemon and scallion really come through. And the tomato salad makes a nice topping.

You can use the basic recipe and experiment with your own flavors. Next time I might add Indian spices. The texture of mashed beans is similar to that of patties made with mashed potatoes. So these could be a healthier alternative to Indian style potato pattice. I could also see making them with black beans, adding some chili powder and topping them with guacamole. Or using chickpeas and topping them with hummus. The possibilities are endless!

  
Place beans in a bowl. (Yeah, you probably didn't need a picture of this step. What can I say? I got a little shutter happy!)



Mash.



Add garlic, lemon zest and juice, scallions, bread crumbs, eggs, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.


Mix until well combined.



Form into hamburger-size patties.



Fry until golden brown on both sides.



For tomato salad, combine tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.



To serve, top warm bean burger with tomato salad. Enjoy!





White Bean Patties with Tomato Salad

Recipe from The Gouda Life

2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 large cloves garlic, minced
zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup chopped scallions
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
few grinds of black pepper
vegetable oil for frying

1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
salt
pepper

1.    In a large bowl, mash the beans using a potato masher or a fork.

2.    Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well until combined. Form the bean mixture into patties about the size of a hamburger bun.

3.    Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Drizzle a little vegetable oil in the pan and wait until its hot and rippled. Fry the patties, a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown.

4.    For the tomato salad, combine tomatoes, cheese, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. 


Makes 6 patties



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.