April 30, 2012

Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake





I’ve been walking around for the past two weeks saying, “Bundt? What’s a bundt?...Oh, it’s a cake!”

I don’t even know if I’m remembering those lines correctly from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. But that’s how I hear them in my head (and how my family hears them coming out of my mouth, fake Greek accent and all).

This was my first bundt. I bought my bundt pan about a month ago in one of those Target-induced I don’t own a bundt pan? How could I possibly not own a bundt pan?! moments. 

I admit this was not the most gourmet of efforts. But it was school vacation week and I needed to keep my kid entertained. And I’ve found that too much emphasis on authenticity when baking with an 8 year old sous chef is not a good idea. So I settled on a recipe that started with a box cake mix but added enough extras to keep things interesting.

And you know what? I got a moist, intensely chocolaty cake that everyone enjoyed. I’m not entirely sold on the whole bundt thing. The cake ends up with too much crust for my taste. But the presentation sure is nice.


In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, water and eggs.



Stir gently until the ingredients are combined.



Then beat on medium until the batter is light and fluffy.



Stir in chocolate chips.



Pour into a bundt pan.



Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then finish cooling on a wire rack.



Dust with powdered sugar.



Serve!




Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake

Slightly adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

1 box (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix
1 package (3.9 ounce) instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil (something mild like canola)
1/2 cup warm water
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
powdered sugar

1.    In a mixing bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, water, and eggs.

2.    Beat on low speed until moistened. Then beat on medium for 2 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips.

3.    Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan.

4.    Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

5.    Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with a dollop of whipped cream. 


Serves 12 to 15


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.