December 21, 2011

Scrambled Eggs on Portobello Mushroom Caps with Spinach





In just a few days we leave for Thailand! Yes, Thailand! First a family wedding on Koh Samui. Then sightseeing in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

I am beyond excited! There are so many things I can't wait to see and experience. At the top of my list is the food. I love Thai food. But I'm assuming the noodles and curries I've had here are not exactly authentic. I can't wait to try the real thing.

But before I board the plane I have to get through the rest of this week and then Christmas. With all the shopping and wrapping and prepping and planning and packing, I feel like I barely have time to think, let alone cook. I'm tempted to phone it in, literally, and just order takeout every night. But we're going to be eating out the whole time we're away so I'm trying to be good.

The other night I made this yummy brunch-like dish for dinner and it was a hit. Healthy, tasty, and (most important these days) -- fast! Perfect for dinner on a busy weeknight. It would also make a quick and healthy alternative to eggs benedict on Christmas morning.


Saute the baby spinach in a bit of olive oil, with some salt and pepper, until the spinach wilts. Put it in a bowl and set aside.



Heat a bit more oil in the same pan and sear the mushrooms for about 3 to 5 minutes per side until they're lightly browned and tender and not releasing any more liquid. Sprinkle some salt over the mushrooms, then set aside.




Now for the scrambled eggs. Melt some butter in pan set over low heat and pour in the eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook low and slow, gently stirring the eggs occasionally. 



When they're starting to set, sprinkle in some cheese.



Continue to cook for another minute or two until the cheese has melted and the eggs are just set.



To assemble, place a mushroom cap on a plate. Top with some spinach, eggs, and a little more cheese. Sprinkle a few drops of Tabasco on top if you like it hot. Enjoy!





Scrambled Eggs on Portobello Mushroom Caps with Spinach

Recipe by The Garlic Press

9 oz baby spinach
2 portobello mushrooms caps, wiped clean and stems removed
5 eggs
olive oil
1 tsp butter
salt
black pepper
1/4 cup shredded cheese, plus more for sprinkling
a few drops Tabasco sauce, optional

1.      Heat a  large skillet over medium high heat. Pour in 1 tsp olive oil. Add spinach and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until spinach is wilted and stops releasing liquid. Remove to a bowl and set aside.

2.      Heat 2 tsp olive oil in same pan over medium high heat. Add mushroom caps. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until the mushrooms have browned slightly, become tender, and stopped releasing liquid. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3.      In a smaller skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add the eggs, salt and pepper, and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are almost set. Add the shredded cheese and cook until the cheese has melted and the eggs are done to your liking.

4.      To serve, place mushroom caps on a plate. Top with spinach, then eggs. Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top if you like. Add a few drops of Tabasco for some kick.


Serves 1 to 2


1 comment:

  1. I am thankful to this blog for assisting me. I added some specified clues which are really important for me to use them in my writing skill. Really helpful stuff made by this blog.
    ถัง เช่า สี ทอง

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.